In the midst of a ground swell of talks on kicking our shoes off to beat the winter blues, we are preparing our mom minds for that urge to detox that crops up with the springtime. The kids are interested as well for the colorful mixture of nature’s bounty (and what a gift to have fruits and veggies taste so good without really having to say: eat your greens).
The power of kale in a morning concoction, a pick-me-up chocolate avocado smoothie, or an afternoon dose of peanut butter, banana, honey for a smooth, delicious treat we adore for the kids and a snacks for moms as well! Do you have a favorite smoothie that melts your woes away and that is good for kids?
Do you know the health benefits of smoothies?
A few reasons smoothies are good for you anytime and can make a good day better:
- Pack Nutrition in a Powerful Way
- Make the morning tasty and sweet
- Add in a hearty amount of fruits and vegetables
- Helps vitamins and minerals get into your blood stream quicker with the glucose from fructose or a natural sweetener
Components of a Smoothie (combine one or any from some or each category)
- milk or nut milk
- fruit juice
- apples or pears
- Dried fruit such as dates, figs, apricots, cherries
- Frozen fruit such as cherries, mango, strawberries
- Green Leafies such as Kale or Broccoli
- Carrots, Beets, Garlic
- Flax Oil
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Chia Seeds
- Any kind of nut or seed
- Protein Powder
- A 60/40 blend of fruits to veggies will diminish any bitterness from the vegetables and help it taste much better.
- Use fresher ingredients to enhance the nutrient-rich profile of your smoothie.
- Try this for a smoothie with the consistency of a star: fill liquid to the blades, next layer with fruits & veggies then supplements, and top it off with ice if using.
- Lovely Leafies: use darker leafy greens in your DIY smoothie for way more vitamin, mineral and detox power!
AMARA ® ORANGIE APPLE SMOOTHIE
This is a delicious recipe to pick up your day. We use fresh orange juice, as this adds a bit of vitamin C and fiber, and the AMARA ® apple, to give you a boost!
1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1 Package of AMARA ® Apple
5 ice cubes
Place orange juice in blender, add AMARA ® Apple powder, ice cubes, blend well, scraping the edge to get all powder the nicely mixed in and smooth. Decorate with an orange slice.
*** Let us know in the comments below what you adorn your DIY smoothies for Mom and Kids with at your house. We would love to know more secret recipes! ***